Re: Need help to get started on Oracle.

From: Maurice M. <joechianti_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 19:20:14 -0800

Hi Martin,

     I was hoping you might be able to clarify a few things for me, if you wouldn't mind.

     I'm in school now, and one of the classes is an Introduction to Oracle Certification. I like it and want to pursue it further. I went to the Oracle website and was looking for some downloads but I'm a bit confused. I couldn't find the answer on the website, though.

     In class, we're using version 8i and also the Forms and Reports Builders from 6i, it seems. I want to download both a an Oracle database and the Forms and Reports builders. I'm running Win98se on my computer right now, but I have a copy of Win2000 Professional and also Win2000 Advanced Server. I can't seem to determine from the download descriptions which is the most suitable version for me. As I have a 56K dial-up, I don't want to do this any more than necessary.

     It looks like 8i is available for Win98, but it doesn't support Forms and Reports? I heard that 9i comes bundled with Forms and Reports? Is that true, even with the Personal Edition? I already have 8i Personal Edition from my class. I considered downloading Forms and Reports for 6i, but it looks like it would only work on WinNT.

     Can you give me a brief rundown of what my best options are to download the Database and the Forms and Reports so I can practice and learn them at home? I don't mind changing my OS if it's necessary.

     Thanks for any advice you can offer, and I apologize for the length of this request.

Sincerely,
Maurice Mastrofilippo Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 21:20:14 CST