Re: buffer overflow, limit of 2000 bytes (how to get around)

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 15:33:25 -0800

Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au> wrote in message news:<871y5e37fs.fsf_at_blind-bat.une.edu.au>...
> "Scott Mattes" <Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws> writes:
>
> > To what I am use to, DBMS_OUTPUT does not seem all that useful for debug --
> > any long running PL/SQL will over run the buffer and you won't see what you
> > need AND you can't see the output until the script is all done.
> >
> > I have developed a package that uses the PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION'
> > compiler directive, found in at least 8i and higher, to save data to a
> > table. You can select from this table while the script is running to see
> > what is going on.
> >
> > Anyone interested should let me know and I can post it.
> >

> i agree. DBMS_OUTPUT, even for debugging is really only useful for the
> simple case. Not only will any long running PL/SQL overrun the buffer
> (though I do try to avoid "long running plsql" when debugging :-), if
> you do get an exception (common when debugging!) you get nothing
> because displaying the buffer contents is the last thing performed and
> not performed if there is an exception.
>
> There does seem to be some syncronicity here though. I have just been
> reading Tom Kytes book and was considering using the autonomous
> transaction pragma for exactly what you have done, so I'd be very
> interested in having a look at your package.
>
> Tim

There is another method of PL/SQL debugging which let's you to receive debugging messages real time. You just send your messages through dbms_pipe package. You need a listener which would receive this message and print it. Usually it's a small Pro*C or java program. I can post a sample if anyone is interested.

Alex. Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 17:33:25 CST