Re: Problem: ORA-01002

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 22 Nov 2002 01:16:36 -0800

Matthias Rogel <rogel_at_web.de> wrote in message news:<arilkd$ii2am$1_at_ID-86071.news.dfncis.de>...
> Dusan Bolek wrote:

> > You've also ran into three other errors:
> > NWG-01001 wrong newsgroup
> > NWG-01002 wrong language
>
> Why ?
> Is it not allowed to post here in another language than English ?
> (I know, English-native-speakers tend to have no other language than
> English,
> however English-native-speakers are clearly the minority)

The first "error" (wrong newsgroup) I've raised, because newsgroups like comp.databases.oracle.marketplace has clearly defined purpose for which exists. So it was clearly inappropriate to send this very message to these newsgroups.

Language is more difficult question. I will try to explain my opinion on this topic. I believe that the purpose of USENET is sharing ideas between people.
To share ideas, thoughts, information between people of various origin, you need to use a common language. In nowadays world and especially in IT area this "universal" language IS English. So, I think that everyone should use English for posting to "general" newsgroups. For people who wants to use their native (non-English) language are useful specific newsgroups, like ru.* in this particular case.
You can see people of many nationalities posting to oracle newsgroups and even with English is sometimes problem to understand each other (greets to Aussies :->). I do not think that is a good idea to have there isolated threads in English, Dutch, Czech, Russian, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Polish, Portugal, Chinese, Norwegian language (sorry if i forgot someone).
So that's the reason why I wrote "Wrong language". My native language is also different from English (which is evident from my posts), but in general newsgroups I've been using only English for last almost ten years.

With regards

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.