Re: using a Rollback Segment for all transactions

From: <dev_at_null>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:33:17 +1100

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:31:16 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

> bertrand Quatromme wrote:
>
> > I work on a datawarehouse.
> > I have many transactions which works on multi-threaded sessions.
> >
> > I try to have all my transaction use a rollback segment which is not
> > always the default one.
> >
> > Actually I have only found the following command :
> >
> > set transaction use rollback segment RBS_DSS;
> >
> > But Can I do it at the session level ? or for the particular user which
> > runs these transactions (at the time I create this user for example like
> > when I choose the default tablespace) ?
> >
> > Thanks for all help.
> >
> > --
> > bertrand
>
> It would be a good thing if you just forgot about SET TRANSACTION. If your
> rollback segments are properly sized and present in sufficient number about
> all you can do with SET TRANSACTION is make a mess of things.
>
> But in answer to your question no you can not assign a user to a rollback
> segment. SET TRANSACTION must be issued at the beginning of each session and
> again immediately following every COMMIT and ROLLBACK.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Hmm, curious. I was under the impression that set transaction had its uses. For example, in a system that usually saw a lot of oltp with the occasional bulk load. Isn't the general advice to set up a load of small rollback segments for the oltp and have a wacking great big one for the bulk work? Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 17:33:17 CST