Re: buffer overflow, limit of 2000 bytes (how to get around)

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 22 Nov 2002 09:05:11 +1100

"Scott Mattes" <Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws> writes:

> To what I am use to, DBMS_OUTPUT does not seem all that useful for debug --
> any long running PL/SQL will over run the buffer and you won't see what you
> need AND you can't see the output until the script is all done.
>
> I have developed a package that uses the PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION'
> compiler directive, found in at least 8i and higher, to save data to a
> table. You can select from this table while the script is running to see
> what is going on.
>
> Anyone interested should let me know and I can post it.

i agree. DBMS_OUTPUT, even for debugging is really only useful for the simple case. Not only will any long running PL/SQL overrun the buffer (though I do try to avoid "long running plsql" when debugging :-), if you do get an exception (common when debugging!) you get nothing because displaying the buffer contents is the last thing performed and not performed if there is an exception.

There does seem to be some syncronicity here though. I have just been reading Tom Kytes book and was considering using the autonomous transaction pragma for exactly what you have done, so I'd be very interested in having a look at your package.

Tim Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 16:05:11 CST