Oracle glob/blob handling

From: AcCeSsDeNiEd <nobody_at_nobody.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:42:32 +0800

Hi there.

I'm pretty new to Oracle so plz no flames :)

I have many small files measuring btw 200kb - 500 kb each. I expect them to grow to about 20-30 gig a year in total.

I intend to insert them as a glob/binary into the Oracle db. Putting them into directories and then linking/refrencing to them is out 'cos of the complexity of the database design and the flexibility that is needed in the future to move the files from record to record.

  1. Can Oracle handle this? I means in terms of speed & record searches & file retrievals?
  2. Won't it slow down with such a huge load of binary data?
  3. Will it get easily corrupted?

I know that MySQL treats each created table as a physical file in the /mysql directory. This is for the unix/linux version. Not sure of the M$ version.

If I lump all the globs/files into one table, the particular MySQL table file is going to be very big. This makes backups hard too.

4. Does Oracle also treat each table as a physical file in it's directory?

   How does Oracle handle it's data "behind"?

Thanks a million for the time. Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 10:42:32 CST