Re: find out default transaction isolation level

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2002 11:39:01 -0800

Some discussions here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=130ba93a.0211100903.20c5d467%40posting.google.com

I am a bit suspicious of your claim that you are reading uncommitted data from different sessions. Are you sure all sessions are still connected when you ran the query? Or was one of the sessions got disconnected and data got committed by default?

ORACLE supports read-committed, serializable and read-only transactions. Read-committed is the default. As I recall, the init param "serializable" could be used to change the default. But this param has been obsoleted since ORACLE 8. Interestingly, you can only use "alter session set isolation_level" to set "Read-committed" and "serializable" transaction. You have to use "set transaction" to set "read only" transaction. You can tell a transaction is in "serializable" isolation level as discussed in the link. I have not found out how to tell if a transaction is read only, by querying a view. Though it is pretty obvious you can not do any delete, update, insert within a read only transaction. It seems "set transaction read only" implicitly licks off a transaction, you can not set it back to "read write" without ending it with a rollback, commit or a DDL. And yet somehow this read only transaction is not recorded in v$transaction.