Re: Remote login

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:19:49 GMT

Singnet Newsgroup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to setup a remote site. It is to come in thru internet.
> I had managed to setup the public address.
> When I connect, I am able to ping the server.
> However, when I run the client copy of the application, I cannot get logon
> to the oracle database.
> Is there some port that I need to open on the firewall?
> Is there other things that I need to look at?
>
> Bye

Let's see if I can word this correctly (been slammed in the past):

  1. Client contacts Listener (on server) on specified port (default 1521). You can 'tnsping net_service_name' to verify that the Listener is alive and well (and willing to communicate).
  2. Listener starts another process on the server to communicate with the Client. This other process chooses a random port over which it carries on the network conversation with the Client.

If you have a Metalink account (requires you to supply your CSI), look for Note 125021.1 "Oracle Connectivity with Firewalls". You can also search Google using the keywords "oracle firewall". Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 11:19:49 CST