Re: Start service with VB

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:09:46 +0200

scotty wrote:

> Here's my priorities;
> 1) allowing laughing boy to start and stop Oracle remotely
> 2) not leaving my room wide open at all hours
> 3) finishing an oracle college assignment

The CGI solution should fit this nicely.

> 4) getting drunk (tell a lie, this is probably 1)

A CGI function that traps credit card numbers..? Can be done.

> Yes you did, but then I saw the other article with you acting shitty
> and couldn't resist doing the same...

Only when I don't yet had my morning coffee... and only when that crap called VB is mentioned.

> You just don't like VB do you, come on admit it.

Whatever did I say to give you that idea!?

>>--
>>@echo off
>>echo.Content-Type: text/html;
>>echo.
>>echo.
>>..rest of the cmd file
>>--
>>
>>Maybe also throw in a <PRE> and </PRE> before and after the shell command,
>>as this will correctly format the STDOUT output.

Oh yeah... forgot to mention how to get the < and > chars into a CMD script. Microsoft again messed up with the way their command shell parser works. These chars are redirection symbols - even when enclosed in quotes.

Something like this should do the trick:

--
@echo off
echo.Content-Type: text/html;

Ditto for the net stop script. There are likely more than one service you
need to start (been a while since I used Oracle on NT). I would think that
the you need to start the basic Oracle service, the Oracle Listener, and
then also perform the database startup.

These can take a while to run, thus the student may think that the CGI is
hanging. Another option is to put the NET START bits into another CMD file
that does the complete startup of all services and mounts and opens the
database. Then you call that CMD file from the CGI using the START command.
This will run the startup CMD file as a batch/background job. The CGI will
return a response immediately that this background startup job has been
started.

BTW, did I tell you how crappy VB is?

--
Billy