Re: extra components for 8.1.7 on HP-UX

From: Bernd Sokolowsky <ulmo_at_gmx.de>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 22:01:13 +0100

>>>>> Joel Garry writes:

jg> Cheap and inexpensive are two different things.  The requirements
jg> listed did not mention how many users, what types of use, etc.  But
jg> Daniel is right, Oracle is a mem and cpu hog, quarter gig likely won't
jg> cut it.  50M for the Oracle processes, 100M SGA (that's how big I
jg> often size a test instance, for use by a single or small group of
jg> developers), leaves you how much for kernel and users... is it
jg> uncommon for user processes to be 12M resident?  Run top and tell us
jg> if not.  So we have to have a tiny SGA to have more than a couple of
jg> users, and the OP says disk resources are limited... rocky road ahead.

The usage would be very low - not nearly like a production system. And it would be tolerable if the performance is sluggish (i.e. swapping).

Anyway, am I right to assume that 8.1.7 works better in such a limited environment than 9.0.1? That it has lower memory needs?

The application suggests the 32bit version of Oracle/HP-UX, but only the 64bit version is downloadable from oracle.com. Any resources I might have overlooked?

Best regards, Bernd.

--
email replies to: hyzb_at_tnebmmb.senaxra.qr (rot13'd for your convenience)