Re: Start service with VB

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:50:48 -0000

"scotty" <invalid-spammer_at_invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:tfaktu4b36hmrhbkigrc91k53ja69oklbh_at_4ax.com...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
> >"scotty" <invalid-spammer_at_invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Really, why so? Whats the differnce starting an oracle service through
> >> NT service's in administration tools or programatically?
> >
> >I really wouldn't want to do it in vb since a simple command or batch
file
> >will do the job equally well. Never the less I agree.
>
> Any idea what the commands are?

Depends how you do it. the commands to stop and start a service are net start <blah> and net stop <blah> . net help is a handy command as well. Alternatively you can run a startup or shutdown script through sqlplus in a similar way to that used in unix.

> >> At the end of the day, I just want to allow user on the network to
> >> start and stop oracle - it's only being used for college assignments
> >> and for some unknown reason (maybe miserlyness) I can't get along with
> >> oracle sucking up 330 mb of my 400 mb of RAM all-the-time.
> >
> >Can you not configure Oracle to use less RAM (or persuade yourself that
that
> >512mb dimm for 66 dollars is reallly worth it ). If you are using all
that
> >RAM for Oracle it will be swapping to disk and having an ,um,
detrimental,
> >effect on performance.
>
> Any idea how to configure oracle to use less RAM?
>
> Sorry, i'm learning this stuff for college, so my knowledge is
> somewhat incomplete.

from the Oracle concepts manual

Size of the SGA
The size of the SGA is determined at instance start up. For optimal performance in most systems, the entire SGA should fit in real memory. If it does not fit in real memory, and virtual memory is used to store parts of it, then overall database system performance can decrease dramatically because portions of the SGA are paged (written to and read from disk) by the operating system. The amount of memory dedicated to all shared areas in the SGA also has performance impact.

The size of the SGA is determined by several initialization parameters. The parameters that most affect SGA size are:

      DB_BLOCK_SIZE
     The size, in bytes, of a single data block and database buffer.

      DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS
     The number of database buffers, each the size of DB_BLOCK_SIZE,
allocated for the SGA.

     The total amount of space allocated for the database buffer cache in the SGA is DB_BLOCK_SIZE times DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS.

      LOG_BUFFER
     The number of bytes allocated for the redo log buffer.

      SHARED_POOL_SIZE
     The size in bytes of the area devoted to shared SQL and PL/SQL
statements.

The only thing I think they've missed out above is the java pool in 8i and above.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA