Re: extra components for 8.1.7 on HP-UX

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2002 15:20:31 -0800

Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAM.networkusa.net> wrote in message news:<cjgituoc1qhokrmk1rdk4ea2e5ljq44mna_at_4ax.com>...

> >And RAM is cheap. I'd definitely get more unless this is intended as a
> >single-user machine with very little data.
>
> You haven't priced RAM for an HP system in awhile have you? Our L2000
> memory was NOT inexpensive....

Cheap and inexpensive are two different things. The requirements listed did not mention how many users, what types of use, etc. But Daniel is right, Oracle is a mem and cpu hog, quarter gig likely won't cut it. 50M for the Oracle processes, 100M SGA (that's how big I often size a test instance, for use by a single or small group of developers), leaves you how much for kernel and users... is it uncommon for user processes to be 12M resident? Run top and tell us if not. So we have to have a tiny SGA to have more than a couple of users, and the OP says disk resources are limited... rocky road ahead.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
mmmmmm, ice cream...