Re: Too many schemas!

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_bertbear.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:55:21 GMT

Donatella,

After looking at the other suggestions, I won't go into the security. Fine Grain Access (row level security) is a good choice. Just remember NEVER trust stuff coming from a browser. You don't know who wrote the browser!

Let me get you thinking in another direction. Performance. Having one schema (in this case I think you mean one table) can produced some interesting performance issues. You should be looking at partitioning day one and design in a method to determine usage by individual client (to give you data for your partitioning decisions). Bottom line is simple: 1,000 clients mean maintenance issues down to the client level no matter how you look at them.

Don't under estimate your performance problems with a single table/schema, if each client has on average just 10 users, you have a user base of 10,000 people with access to the table. If just 5% of the clients end up being heavy hitters, you're talking about 500 heavy hitters each day! You need to design in ways to manage the performance from day one.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram