Newbie: Update trigger

From: news.green.ch <alessandro_at_franchini-net.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:01:54 +0100

Hi everyone
my name is Alessandro and i'm new to this newsgroup.

I have a simple problem. I would like in an update trigger to update a timestamp and moduser field to take trace of the changes to a row. But i having troubles because Oracle says the table is mutating. The trigger is defined like that:
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER FC_UTRICHIESTA_U_INFOS BEFORE UPDATE ON IASTEST.FC_UTRICHIESTA
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
  UPDATE FC_UTRICHIESTA SET MUTADATA = SYSDATE; END;
/

What i'm doing wrong or how can i solve my problem.

Thanx in advance

Alessandro Franchini