Re: and optymalistaion NLSSORT,like

From: <flatline_at_mailbox.hu>
Date: 16 Nov 2002 06:04:59 -0800

Hi there!

You can find some documentation about function-based indexes at:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a85397/state10c.htm#2063358

Common pitfalls:

BTW if i'm not wrong, if NLS_SORT set to POLISH you may write:
> SELECT * FROM sometable
> WHERE nazwa like 'something%'
> ORDER BY nazwa

If something% is selective enough you have a good chance of using the function-based index, maybe you have to add 'and nazwa is not null'. We had similar problems with NLS_SORT=HUNGARIAN, but we managed to solve it.
BTW nlssort function returns bad value according to hungarian alphabet, maybe you'll have better luck with POLISH.

HTH, Regards

   Flatline