Re: MS SQL expert needs to learn Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:35:20 GMT

> 8. The same words mean different things. So in Oracle the word 'schema'
> means the same thing as 'database' in SQL Server. And there are numerous
> other cases where the same word has a very different meaning. Don't be
> lulled into thinking you understand something because the name is the same.

I guess that I'd just add that both systems do "basically" the same thing. One just needs to learn *how* both systems do them. It is the implementation of the same concept that can bog people down. For instance, both systems support transactions. But as Daniel has pointed out, how they handle transactions can be different. Both systems support some method to capture transactions so that information can be recovered in the event of a failure. But they each do them differently. Get the idea?

Currently, I'm having to go the other way, from understanding Oracle to just beginning with SQL Server. We aren't getting rid of Oracle by any means, just learning to support a different RDBMS vendor's product. So I'm in basically the same boat.

Cheers,
Brian Received on Thu Nov 14 2002 - 15:35:20 CST