Re: A strange behavior of a constant defined in a package

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2002 07:05:44 -0800

C Chang <cschang_at_maxinter.net> wrote in message news:<3DD2F095.1E81_at_maxinter.net>...
> I am running a 8.1.6 on NT 4 system. I have developed a utility
> package that provides some common constants , functions and procedures
> for my rest of application. Today I have experienced a strange
> condition related to one of the constant defined in the utility
> package. When one of my procedures from other package failed, the error
> message pointed to this one particular constant of the utility package.
> So I went to check the validity of the whole utility package under the
> Oracle DBA studio and found nothing is invalid. I also use the query to
> check all the objects under the whole DB schema, nothing wrong either.
> Next I checked the constant under the package spec, making sure it is
> there by DBA studio. It's there! Then I re-run the procedure, the
> error was still generated. So I went back to recompile the whole
> utility package and all other packages which become invalid because of
> the recompilation of the utility. Now when I retried the procedure,
> the problem is gone. My question is ( from the experience) , how to
> validate any constants inside the schema? Because there is no indicator
> as other objects of schema ( package, procedures, functions, triggers&#8230;)
> from the DB management. My problem was fixed totally based on to my
> guess, which is not very good practices. Hope someone have a better
> suggestion. Thanks.
>
> C Chang

By any change could/did you use define a variable with the same name as your constant in one or more of your package procedures or functions?

It might also be beneficial if you listed the actual Oracle error messages as someone may recognize the problem or a possible associated bug related to them.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Nov 14 2002 - 09:05:44 CST