Re: Newbie: 9i on RH8

From: Henk Jan Barendregt <henkjan_at_barendregt.xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:10:03 +0100

Bob Jarman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had 9i release 2 (standard configuration - no EM) with Scott/Tiger db
> installed and working on RH8, used the instructions & rpm from GuruLabs. I
> needed to try something else that required a fresh install - now I keep
> getting ORA 27123 "unable to attach to shared memory segment" during the
> database configuration procedures near the conclusion of the installation
> process. Obviously I've done something differently or didn't remove
> something that I should have prior to the install. What am I missing? Can
> it be fixed WYAI?

Hi,

I had the same problem on RH 7.3. The shared memory segment is too small. See the inststallation manual on how to set the kernel paramaters. BTW. Oracle 9i needs a lot of memory. The manual says 512 MB minimum. I have installed it on 256 MB with a lot of swap. It works but the system is quite slow.

Regards,

Henk Jan Received on Sun Nov 10 2002 - 23:10:03 CST