Re: View updating in practice?

From: Alexander Kuznetsov <Alexander.Kuznetsov_at_marshmc.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2002 21:28:29 -0800

Hi Jens,

<I think>

once upon a time, I had 1 yr experience in T-SQL and Sybase and considered myself quite an expert. Oops! I issued and UPDATE without WHERE clause againsht a beeeeeeg table in a production database.

Updatable views you are speaking about are no more dangerous than standard ANSI compliant DML, as long as UPDATE/DELETE statements can run without WHERE clause.

Since then I have dealt with more than 20 similar mishtakes made by other developers, so I've quite atoned for that error. I'm sick, sick, sick of it. Currently our middelware wont let thru a statement without WHERE clause.

I'd say here is a very useful updateable view (anybody may deal with there own data only)

CREATE VIEW MY_DATA
AS
SELECT * FROM ALL_DATA WHERE ENTERED_BY = CURRENT USER Funnelling all the OLTP threw this view would have prevened the disashter I was speakin about. Such views are very frequently used out here in the field.
</I think>

What do you think? Received on Sat Nov 09 2002 - 23:28:29 CST