Re: Database connection through firewall

From: Gregor Theis <gregor.theis_at_ib-theis.de>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:13:52 +0100

Hello

"Forte Agent" <1443131_at_usenetplanet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:770psu01a0mh5tfuifd5o37i3e8h8sig8f_at_4ax.com...

> Is there some secure way to let database users connect to database
> through firewall, preferably without opening up ports in firewall? If
> firewall port has to be open, is there some way to do it secure?
> Thank you in advance.

I do not know a way through a firewall without opening a TCP/UDP port in the firewall or have a proxy running on the firewall for a special application.

What I would do, I would have a look at an ORACLE product called (I am not sure if it is still the current name) Connection Manager.

I would open in port in the firewall for a connection runnning to your connection manager port. The connection manager is than connecting to the database. You can have some rules for source addesses and the like on the firewall and on the Connection Manager configuration.

To be able to connect from the client you will have to setup a special tnsnames.ora with source routing entries.

You can have a look at Jonathan Gennicks nice article about that at http://www.gennick.com/lock_the_door.html.

Have a nice day

Gregor

Dipl.-Ing. Gregor J. Theis (3x ORACLE OCP DBA 8, 8i, 9i)
mailto:gregor.theis@ib-theis.de http://www.ib-theis.de