Oracle clustering query

From: Russell Fray <news_at_it-logic.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:17:04 -0000

Hi,

I currently run an Oracle 8i database on a single server with no redundancy. I'm looking to turn this in to a two server scenario. The main interface to the database is using Oracle Application Server which resides on the Oracle server itself. Staff access the database using a standard web browser.

What would be the best way to cluster this so as to have good redundancy and fail over, hopefully with the two servers sharing the load?

I find Oracle Application Server fairly unstable, it needs a restart every few days as it stops serving pl/sql packages. I want to point users at a single URL, but have this using two servers - using load balancing and obviously if one server goes down then everybody will simply be thrown at the 2nd server.

Are there any good resources on the web that explain the different types of clustering available and how to do them? Perhaps I should put Oracle Application Server on a machine separate to the database itself?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Russ. Received on Sat Nov 09 2002 - 05:17:04 CST