Re: oracle and his primary group : oinstall or dba

From: Fleury Marcel <marcel.fleury_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: 7 Nov 2002 06:14:28 -0800

"John L" <jl_at_lammtarra.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message news:<aqcbk7$qbd$1_at_news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> "Fleury Marcel" <marcel.fleury_at_bluewin.ch> wrote in message news:f18358b2.0211060702.6c96f971_at_posting.google.com...
> > Hello,
> > Oracle recommands to have oinstall as primary group for oracle account.
> > Why not using dba as primary group ?
> > What are the benefit to use oinstall instead of dba ?
> >

> The oracle user is in the oinstall group, and
> the other users with dba privileges are not,
> they are in the dba group. The oracle (oinstall)
> user is the owner of all the oracle files.
>
> In many companies, the sys admin will install
> the software (as oracle in the oinstall group)
> and the DBAs (in the dba group) use it.
>
> It also means that the DBAs cannot accidentally
> remove oracle files.
>
> One way of undoing this "separation of powers" is
> for oracle to also be in the dba group and to be
> used by DBAs.
>
> John.

Thank you with all of you for your answers

So if we decide to separate the installation and DBA roles, the config files in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, for example, are only accessible in write by oraowner.

But the management of this files are generaly the responsability of the DBA's and not of the sys admin.

What do you mean ?

-rw-r--r-- 1 oraowner oinstall 17253 Jan 31 09:23 tnsnames.ora

Marcel Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 08:14:28 CST