Re: Graphical Interface for creating tables

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 08:18:44 +0200

Steve wrote:

> I'll think I'll try and figure out Toad.

It seems to have quite a following. Don't use it myself though (I've got my own custom written "enterpise" GUI I've wrote for Oracle that I've been using now for many years).

> I'm amazed at how the Oracle environment is so much more elaborate (and
> confusing) than working with some of the other DBMS's.

Steve, my first 6 months with Oracle some years ago.. I hated it. Up to that time I used mainframe databases, SQL-Server and Informix.

The stuff I read in the newsgroup back then, looked like Latin. I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Control files. Data files. Tablespaces. Etc. Huh?

SQL*DBA (the old management tool we had back then) sucked. SQL-Server had its GUI manager. SQL-Server was easy to use. And the odd (and freakingly weird) SQL-Server problems we had, I've grown to accept. Had DBCC and the codes manual. :-)

Even Informix came with isql and its own set of console curses windows tools.

Less than a year later and I was hooked on Oracle. I was doing things that were _impossible_ to do on SQL-Server. Even Informix. Best of all, the hood was not welded shut like in SQL-Server.

Climbing that Oracle mountain.. it seems a daunting task. But the view is friggen good up there and what's more.. there are always more cliffs to scale and more views to discover on this mountain. You will never be bored. :-)

--
Billy