Re: Graphical Interface for creating tables

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2002 22:10:59 -0600

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002, sbohler_at_stny.rr.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a simple, GUI application for
> creating/editing/deleting Oracle tables, adding/editing/deleting
> fields, creating simple indices, running SQL queries. I'm not
> interested in optimization, PL-SQL.
>
> In the MS world, it's easy to do all of this with SQL-Server's
> Enterprise Manager.

I, for one, don't EVER EVER want to EVER, EVER connect some modeling tool to a database and modify tables. But then, in comes SQLServer, that not only gives one tools to perform that horror, but then, they blur the modeling vs developing roles. Every damn developer is in the database modify'n tables, indexes, ... Then, they are working on some project using Oracle and they start bitching, hey, how come I can't just modify this table, and how come it isn't available in some drop-down menu?

I'm glad that Oracle doesn't make designing and modifying the database something "easy" to do. It is something that should be taken seriously and with LOADS and LOADS and LOADS of care.

--
Galen deForest Boyer