Re: Oracle over home LAN

From: Olav M.J. Christiansen <omjc_at_intete-kontor.dk>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 03:26:44 +0100

"scotty" <invalid-spammer_at_invalid.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse news:c5mgsug03b4vhl4btcr57hlm49kq81fs79_at_4ax.com...

> I'm trying to set up Oracle 8i over a home LAN and cant
> seem to be able to connect to any other machine apart from
> my own. I have two Oracle servers running with different
> server names to which I can connect individually but if I
> try accross the network...

[snip]

> ora-12154:TNS:could not resolve service name

[snip]

You need to have the listener running on both servers, if they should be able to connect to each other.

Next, you need to set up your tnsnames.ora file on the client machine (the one making the network call). This file can usually be found under /net80/admin (or similar depending on version of Oracle). Edit the tnsnames.ora to reflect the other machine, and everything should be ok.

Hint: You can use tnsping to test the connecting. Also, if you don't want to mess around with the .ora files there are some tools available to help you (look for Oracle Net8 Assistant or Oracle Net8 Easy Config).

--
Regards
Olav M.J. Christiansen (OCP)