What do you do when someone drops a bunch of datafiles ?

From: Scott W <CantGiveMyAddressBecauseIm_at_work.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:58:30 -0600

Besides strangle them :). Scenario: someone deletes a bunch of datafiles and you can't bring up Oracle, and you end up doing an alter database datafile 'datafilename' offline drop, one datafile at a time until it comes up... I have spent the last two hours doing this to an 9.2 instance trying to bring it back up. Is there any way to drop all missing datafiles at once so you don't have to go through this pain ? Or at least get a listing of them so I can create a SQL script ?

Thanks, Scott

PS, this is not a prod environment, but a dev environment, thus many people are in the dba group. This kind of thing is a cost of doing business, and thankfully it doesn't happen often. Received on Tue Nov 05 2002 - 13:58:30 CST