Re: Oracle Conversion & replication

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 18:08:11 GMT

Richard Cassidy wrote:
> I appreciate we live in the 21st century but business does not, this is my
> dilemma I have to live in, a band-aid mode, patch up until they finally
> agree to open their purse strings and allow supported versions. You would
> cringe if I mentioned the version of OS/390 & DB/2. Thus the only
> communication is converting the Oracle 8 to Oracle 7 and replicating it down
> to the NT Servers. There is no need to read the Oracle 7 data from the
> Oracle 8 server at all . So what do you mean communication will not work
> from 8 to 7.

It will work, but I'm not sure what your question is. I assume you have a plan to do the download from v8 to v7? One of the companies where I worked had written their own set of procedures to do this. They didn't like the inflexible, trigger-based replication offered by Oracle (since they wanted to dynamically shuffle around the parent-child-grandchild relationships among databases). Their procedures worked whether v8 or v7 was the parent or the child.

 From the number of Oracle 7 questions posted on this NG, I think you're in good company. Lots of DBAs have to work with unsupported versions.