Re: create index with lowercase

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:52:50 -0600

I missed the first posts on this but
In 8i or later build an function-based index on Upper(name) then use

where upper(name) like 'AA%' for Names that start with any combination of aA ( Aa,aa,AA) or
where upper(name) like 'A%' for all names that start with A in any form

It will use the index so it should be fast...

The addition of one index should not affect, in any meaningful sense, the size of your database unless there are a very large number of rows and,even then, a single column index is not huge..

.

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Mon Nov 04 2002 - 09:52:50 CST