Weird characters returned from Oracle database

From: Marty Will Follow <marty_mj_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2002 07:44:52 -0800

Hello,

I'm experiencing a strange compatibility issue (I think). Hopefully I make some sense describing the problem... I have some Visual Basic code that calls a stored procedure on an Oracle database (through an ODBC link). Now, when I execute it on my laptop, all behaviour is as expected. However, when executing it on the corporate desktop (where it should run in the end) I get a strange return code. There are some weird ASCII characters such as 0%3|| (I'm using standard characters at the moment as the 'registered trademark' sign etc. may not display properly).
I tried looking at the regional settings (even though I make no use at all of dates, currencies, time, etc. just plain text strings), but it seems as if my laptop has the same settings as the desktop workstation.

Since it works on at least one computer (the development laptop) I think it is not a Visual Basic problem (but I'm not sure). Can Oracle really be this big a pain in the ass?

Here is the VB-code that builds up the stored procedure:

Public Function InitializeACC() As Boolean
'******************************************************************************
'                               InitializeACC
' Initializes the command for executing the Intelligent Retrieval procedure.
' This procedure is called when a user enters information for a search on a
' account name
'******************************************************************************

    InitializeACC = False

    Set objCmd.ActiveConnection = cnConnection

'--- Which Sushi Stored Procedure?

    objCmd.CommandText = "SUSHI_ESS_SBL_ZOEK_ACC_ZK.p_query"     objCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

'--- Mandatory input parameters

    objCmd.Parameters.Append
objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_execution_code_in", adVarChar, adParamInput, 20, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_AC_NAAM_1", adVarChar, adParamInput, 100, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_ACCOUNT_ID_2", adVarChar, adParamInput, 15, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_AC_STRAAT_3", adVarChar, adParamInput, 200, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_AC_PLAATS_4", adVarChar, adParamInput, 80, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append
objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_copy_acc_naam_5", adVarChar, adParamInput, 100, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append
objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_copy_acc_straat_6", adVarChar, adParamInput, 200, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append
objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_copy_acc_plaats_7", adVarChar, adParamInput, 80, "")

'--- Output parameters

    objCmd.Parameters.Append
objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_selection_id_out", adVarChar, adParamOutput, 10, "")

    objCmd.Parameters.Append
objCmd.CreateParameter("pp_general_status_out", adVarChar, adParamOutput, 10, "")

'--- Which values?

    objCmd("pp_execution_code_in") = strExecutionCode
    objCmd("pp_AC_NAAM_1") = strAccount
    objCmd("pp_AC_STRAAT_3") = strAddress
    objCmd("pp_AC_PLAATS_4") = strPCCity

    InitializeACC = True
End Function
Public Function InitializeCNT() As Boolean

As you can see, only strings are entered so I don't see why regional settings should even be an issue.

Hopefully someone can help.

C ya!

Marty Received on Mon Nov 04 2002 - 09:44:52 CST