Re: Compare Toad & PLSQL Developer

From: Ulrich Kobsa <ulrich.kobsa_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:19:54 +0100

Hi Sergey,

Iīm using both tools. Normaly I use TOAD and only for debugging i use PLSQL Developer.

Here my personal opinions:

In general: TOAD is better for managing and supporting a database and PLSQL Dev is better for pure development.
Especially i like it in TOAD, to have more then one sql statement in the SQL window and can go to the needed statement and execute it. In PLSQL Dev this is not so nice implemented (only one statement per window). But if you need to code a lot then PLSQL Dev could be the better choice because it has a lot of templates in it. Also I found debugging stored procedures much more comfortable in PLSQL Dev. TOAD on the other side has a lot of features for managing a database (especially if you buy the DBA add on).

I think it depends a lot of what you want to do with the tools: If you more a support person (like me) TOAD seems the better choice. As a pure developer I would use PLSQL Dev.

If you look at the price: PLSQL Dev wins (also there seems to be a free TOAD available, but I donīt know about its features/limitations).

greetings,
Ulrich