Re: embarassed to ask this, how good am I as an OCP?

From: Terry Mu <terry_mu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:11:56 GMT

I heard a lot about that. I wouldn't care OCP if I happen to have that gold experience. DBA philosophy, attitude are not a big thing to me. I have been in IT for several years and did well in C++, network etc. I'm not stupid and DBA is not rocket science.

Again, regards to experience, some guys who majored in agriculture or English literature or whatever switched to Oracle or whatever two years ago, and got that experience. Would I be junior to most of them after a half year work? I don't think so. How about 5 years afterwards? Experience is not everything either, some programmers cannot even find a thing by google. Logic and commen sense is a big part of that IT phlliosopy. I met guys with years experience programming like crap, and users just don't like what they did. That's the market, you cann't argue with it. And I don't want to argue with those guys who switched, they did right thing and they delivered effort.

But for me, and some of those guys got OCP and want to do it seriously, we have to work out somehow. I just want to justify myself, if I can make difference in OCP exams, I can do it in work.

Market, luck / fate, vision, those are decisive factors.

Thanks, I just say what in my mind, not arguing with you.