Re: Preventing Inserting during updating subset

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:58:27 GMT

C Chang wrote:

> How to prevent to insert a new row reacord into a subset of reacords
> while the subset is being updated. or vise versa prevent the subset to
> update while new row is inserted. Ex:
> A 1 new
> A 2 new
> update to
> A 1 old
> A 2 old
> prevent a 'A 3 new' insert into. The new row will become 'B 1 new',
> preventing subset of
> A 1 old
> A 2 old
> A 3 new
> what Oracle mechanism provides such thing. The only thing I can think
> about is to use the "For Update" in Updating block. Does it really
> achieve such goal? Thanks for anyone's suggestion.
>
> K Chang

There is no need to do anything other than to study Oracle's architecture. Oracle is not SQL Server and there is no need to lock anything or do anything. Reads don't block writes, write's don't block reads, and it is impossible for an insert, update, or delete to affect an on-going DML statement.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Nov 01 2002 - 10:58:27 CST