Invalid Password File when creating a new database

From: June MacLeod <june.macleod_at_allomax.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:40:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hello, I am new to Oracle and need to create a test database as the backend for a vb frontend.

I am trying to set up a new database using Oracle 8i on an NT4 Server. We already have a database running so we know the system works.

I have set up the ORACLE_SID to be CMAXDEV in the registry. I have created and started an NT Service named OracleServiceCMAXDEV. I then adapted the init.ora file and renamed it initCMAXDEV.ora

I have then started the svrmgrl utility and connected as SYSDBA. I issued the command to STARTUP NOMOUNT and then CREATE DATABASE CMAXDEV;

At this point it comes back with the message: ORA-01501 Create Database Failed
ORA-01991 invalid password file 'e:\oracle\ora81\DATABASES\PWDcmaxdev.ora'

I am unsure of where this file comes from and what should be in it.

Could someone offer some help as to what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

June Macleod Received on Fri Nov 01 2002 - 08:40:24 CST