Re: UTF-8 to ASCII 7 conversion?

From: Ed Kulis <ekulis_at_apple.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:07:51 -0800

On 10/31/02 8:19 AM, in article 3DC157F1.1E76CA3_at_exesolutions.com, "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

> Why not just use UTF8 everywhere? I never build a database anymore with any
> other character set. And I've yet to find a problem.

I'd love to use UTF8 everywhere but everywhere here at Apple is a big where.

We've got external vendors, SAP, Vitria, Vantive Clients, internal interface/GUI conversion standards, etc., that all have their own idea about character sets.

We just found out this morning that our soon-to-be-replaced-by-Peoplesoft Vantive client makes up their own 6 octet codes for characters like • which shows on my screen as a dark little Apple logo. The Apple logo is actually in Unicode but our client doesn't use the UTF8 to represent the Apple.

It's looking like we'll need to do out own conversions via a set of safe character sets since "safe" depends on who we're sending it to.

-ed Received on Thu Oct 31 2002 - 16:07:51 CST