Re: How to make Oracle database changing at home?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 13:06:14 -0800

"Paul Murphy" <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com> wrote in message news:<zW1w9.44314$c51.13170502_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > "Terry Mu" <terry_mu_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Where can I get Oracle 8i for Solaris x86?
> >
> > I'm sure Oracle charges a pretty penny for that. Go for Linux.
>

> I ordered the media package for Solaris x86 and they sent a CD of 8i EE for
> Solaris x86 with it, along with Forte for Java, GNOME and a bunch of other
> stuff. Obviously, you can't use Oracle commercially for free, but for
> learning at home, it should be fine. Read the license. I think it cost me
> about $10 and they shipped it FedEx (about 10 CDs). However, I don't
> disagree with the "go for linux" statement, though. I downloaded Larry
> Ellison's LinuxWorld presentation about clustering and it looks like Oracle
> is really putting some weight behind their Linux push. You might be better
> off:
>
> 1. Just getting 9i on Linux
> 2. Buying a used SPARC workstation and running Oracle on it.

Yow, shoulda checked the O store before I said anything. It said $40 ea for Sol 86 and sparc, totally not what I expected. But of course, O has traditionally given out everything, knowing that most places would sooner or later need to get support, hence licensed.

sparcs are cheap, but I sure wouldn't want to have to fix one as a home user...

jg

--
@home is bogus.
"The audit committee should be shot." - Otis Benton, looking at