Re: How to make Oracle database changing at home?

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:01:35 GMT

> > Where can I get Oracle 8i for Solaris x86?
>
> I'm sure Oracle charges a pretty penny for that. Go for Linux.

I ordered the media package for Solaris x86 and they sent a CD of 8i EE for Solaris x86 with it, along with Forte for Java, GNOME and a bunch of other stuff. Obviously, you can't use Oracle commercially for free, but for learning at home, it should be fine. Read the license. I think it cost me about $10 and they shipped it FedEx (about 10 CDs). However, I don't disagree with the "go for linux" statement, though. I downloaded Larry Ellison's LinuxWorld presentation about clustering and it looks like Oracle is really putting some weight behind their Linux push. You might be better off:

  1. Just getting 9i on Linux
  2. Buying a used SPARC workstation and running Oracle on it.

Good luck...

-Paul Murphy Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 22:01:35 CST