ORADIM, SYS as SYSDBA and the password file

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:52:08 GMT

(Running 9i EE Rel 2 on Win2KPro)

I've been trying to change the password for sys when logging in as sysdba on my practice database at home. I tried the obvious:

ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY myNewPassword;

Now, that new password works when logging in with sys as sysdba in addition to the default password of "oracle".

Then I did a bit of research and figured out that the old internal password
(now the 'as sysdba' password is stored in the password file which you can
reset with ORADIM).

So, I try using ORADIM, like this:

C:\>oradim -EDIT -SID mySID -INTPWD myNewPass -STARTMODE auto -pfile c:\oracle\ora92\database\spfileSID.ora

And I'd get this error in my ORADIM.log:

Wed Oct 30 22:16:30 2002
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters

So, I do some more research and it says if you're using an SPFILE, create a generic init(sid).ora file with a single line pointing to your SPFILE, like so:

SPFILE = c:\oracle\ora92\database\spfileSID.ora

I reran my previous oradim statement and now I no longer get that ORA-01078 error, but I can still log in as both

SYS as SYSDBA with the new password
SYS as SYSDBA with "oracle" as the password

So, If you're running 9i using an SPFILE, how do you really change the SYS as SYSDBA password and why can you log in as SYS as SYSDBA with 2 different passwords? Thanks in advance for the advice and I hope the answers benefit other readers, too.

-Paul Murphy Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 21:52:08 CST