Re: TNSnames.ora ODBC MS Access connecting problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:00:35 +0100

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:41:37 -0000, "Christoph Geisse" <Ch.Geisse_at_fz-juelich.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>Does anybody know how the ODBC driver resolves server names when they are
>described via an TNSname? Where does it look for TNSnames.ora?
>
> I have got MS Access 97 (on WinNT) connected to Oracle8 (on AIX) via
>Merant/Intersolv ODBC 4.00. Everything works fine with SQLplus and the
>Oracle ODBC Test utility. But connecting from Access 97 refers to an old
>TNSnames.ora in an (not existant, old) directory. It seems that somehow the
>ODBC manager (or MS Access?) looks for TNSnames.ora in 'weird' directories
>(starting with the root of the partition?) and somewhere (?) saves the
>directory found.
>
>Regards
>Christoph

Some drivers have the name of the Oracle dll hardcoded. Oracle will determine the Oracle home from the by stripping the bin directory from the full path name. Oracle will also look in oracle.key in the oracle_home bin directory to get the correct key of the registry. That said: if you set TNS_ADMIN in the registry, the issue disappears.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 12:00:35 CST