Re: How to work around count discarding null rows?

From: Alan Mills <Alan.Mills_at_nospamservices.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:07:27 -0000

I must admit, I didn't study your question too hard and stopped when I saw you want a COUNT of zero but...

If you ever want you COUNT(*) to show a zero you generally ahve to think in terms of using SUM rather than COUNT.

Make sure that your query returns a 1 for each row to be included and a zero (probably using an outer join) for 'missing' rows. DECODE(pk_col, NULL, 0, 1) as an expression will likely do. SUM this and you should be on your way to getting COUNTs of zero.