Re: Data Migration Issues

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:50:34 GMT

Hari Om wrote:
> Hi Experts:
>
> We are having Legacy DOS Based System and are thinking of migrating to
> Web Based System which would use Oracle DB instead. I was just
> wondering what issues needs to be taken into consideration while
> working on this Migration? Are there any Guidelines of Data Migration
> between 2 systems.
>
> THANKS!

Wow! That's a rather large leap in technology! Since it is, you have two choices:

  1. Keep processing pretty much the way it is, but done with Oracle SQL. If you choose this option, you will kick yourself later.
  2. Get a clean piece of paper or erase everything from your whiteboard and start from scratch. Go thru the normal analysis / design / code steps of software development. The web world really does require a different way of thinking ... and using different tools to get the job done. There is no shortcut. :( Pray that your management understands.