Re: What's a good tool for Stored Procedure/ Package development?

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 10:09:48 +1100

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> writes:

> Don Chambers wrote:
>
> > What development tools do you use to create Oracle Packages?
> >
> > We are currently using Oracle Enterprise manager but this is not a
> > good tool for team development. With Enterprise manager you are
> > connected to the database and actually editing the code in the
> > database.
> >

> From my standpoint ... vi or notepad.
>
> If you are looking for an editor that color codes and all that stuff there
> are a lot of freeware/shareware products out there ... one I like is
> WinEdit for the Windows environment but in truth I rarely use as I don't
> need the colors and the other bells and wistles.

I've been very happy with Emacs and SQL-mode. In addition to getting syntax highlighting and an interactive SQL*PLUS buffer from within emacs, you also have built-in CVS/RCS version control support. Addd the PL/SQL-mode and you get additional PL/SQL keyword highlighting and formatting. Add JDEE-mode and you have a very nice java development environment. Turn on abbrev/dabbrev modes and you have great abbreviation expansion support. Add the tramp-mode and you have access to files on remote systems as if they were local files (all over ssh if you are security concious) and of coruse, being all emacs lisp based, if there is a feature you need or one which exists but you want to customize, you just need to do a little lisp and your away!

I also saw something the other day which suggested putting triggers on the create operations - sounded like a cool idea for obtaining a cheap version control mechanism - apparently the idea is to setup a trigger which fires whenever a create/replace operation is performed on a package object which takes the code for the existing package and puts it into an archive table with a timestamp, providing a simple archiving technique which does not rely on the developer/dba remembering to do a phisical archiving before doing a replace on an existing package - probably not a good solution for a development environment, but might be worth considering for a production platform that does not get updated as often. I'm not sure, but the ability to create these sort of triggers may only be available with 9i, I have not had time to check it out yet.

Tim Received on Sun Oct 27 2002 - 17:09:48 CST