Re: concurrent development on a database

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 10:22:14 -0500

rainer.hirthammer_at_software-objects.com (Rainer Hirthammer) wrote in news:3db91173.3412717_at_news.btx.dtag.de:

> Thank you. We're using QVCS etc., but that is not the problem. The
> problem is that several developers are working on the same database-
> instance, and you always run the risk of been overwritten by
> another. You can make an agreement like "ask all others before
> start editing anything", but then you are reliant on each
> developer's care.

Ah, in that case, as others have said, you need to revoke these developer's access to the main instance (let them play with their own copies) when you do the build. This is all part of setting up a build process when moving bits in stages to finally get to production.

The developers need to be disciplined -- as in, disciplined developers, not as in wrapped on the knuckles... :)

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com