Re: ORA-00955 error when dropping field

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:44:04 GMT

Karsten Farrell wrote:

> Chris Austin wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am trying to move data from a varchar to a clob. I add a new field
> > to the table called TempX and update it with the data from the
> > original varchar. When I try to remove the original field I get an
> > ORA-00955 error. Here is my SQL
> >
> > alter table RenewalText drop column NewText;
> >
> > and this is the error:
> >
> > ERROR at line 1:
> > ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object
> >
> > What could be causing this?
> >
> > Thanks
> You can only drop columns from the "end" of a table (the last column
> when you DESCRIBE the table). When you added your new column, the
> original column was no longer last.
>
> As a workaround, you could create a working table with the key columns
> from your original table and your CLOB column. Then load that table.
> Then drop the original column from your original table. Then add the
> CLOB column to your original table. Then populate it from your working
> table. Then drop your working table. Phew!

Excuse me ... but ...

SQL> create table xyz (

  2  firstfld  varchar2(2),
  3  secondfld varchar2(2),
  4  lastfld   varchar2(2));

Table created.

SQL> alter table xyz
  2 drop column secondfld;

Table altered.

SQL> You can drop any column you want in 8.1.7. and above.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Oct 24 2002 - 14:44:04 CDT