Re: SQL*Plus 9i (2. Release) crashes when accessing an Oracle 7.3 DB

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:15:53 GMT

..: woody california :.. wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've downloaded the Oracle 9i (2nd Rel.) client software for MS
> Windoze from otn.oracle.com to get to access to a quite antique Oracle
> 7.3.2 Database at our company that runs on a remote IBM AIX machine.
>
> I've installed the basic client and experienced no troubles at all -
> even the connection test worked fine.
>
> However AFTER installation a few problems appeared:
>
> Im unable to connect to the 7.3.2 DB using SQL*Plus. The following
> error/warning message appears a couple of seconds after starting the
> program:
>
> Error accessing PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE
> Warning: Data from table Product User Profile isn't loaded!
> PUPBLD.SQL should be run as SYSTEM
>
> (the above is a "translation" as I use the german language version)
>
> After that the program simply crashes.
>
> Has anybody experienced similar behavior? I use a Windoze XP Pro
> installation as OS. It would be really nice if somebody could help me
> on that matter...
>
> Regards,
> woodycal.

Back in the Oracle7 days, the PUP was the only way you could keep people from accessing the database from anywhere other than the application. You could prevent people from changing the database directly from SQLPlus. If that's the business policy on your AIX box, there's not much you can do other than contact the DBA ... since PUPs are the sledgehammer approach ... replaced by finer-grain access in later versions. Received on Thu Oct 24 2002 - 12:15:53 CDT