Re: seemingly simple questions

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 24 Oct 2002 10:57:10 -0500

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in news:3db8097d$0$1293$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net:

> See other replies , especially Richard's for the point in
> question. I thought I'd pick up on this paragraph though. You are
> quite correct that in many ways the OCP doesn't enable you to
> understand what oracle is doing (and still less why), the official
> education courses do go some way to addressing this, but in essence
> you are quite correct that you can obtain an OCP and not understand
> what Oracle is or does.The same is of course true for the MCSE and
> similar qualifications. You are quite likely to find as a result
> that the OCP doesn't in fact help you get the job (though it may
> help you get an interview).

To some extent, all DBMS work the same. They all have a 'data' portion, they all have a 'log' portion. They all do journaling to minimize the impact to the 'data' portion. This can be learned from books like 'An Introduction to Database Systems' by Date.

When I took the Oracle classes (back in the days of Oracle 7), they backfilled the nuances of how Oracle implemented the RDBMS model. It wasn't done exceedingly well but at that point along with strace equivalents, it gave me a pretty good foundation of how Oracle implemented its RDBMS.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com