Re: sorting column

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:20:32 GMT

Bertrand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when i do an orber by on a varchar2 column, the result is apparently sorted
> using EBCDIC and not ASCII ('A' is before '0')
> I have to add ascii(my_column) to get column sorted by ASCII.
> Is it normal or my database is not correctly configured ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Use our news server 'news.foorum.com' from anywhere.
> More details at: http://nnrpinfo.go.foorum.com/

Oracle has no default sort order. Sort order is dependent upon the NLS parameters and character set: The NLS parameters can be changed on the fly. So, for example, in Chinese, there are three different sort orders possible. You need to determine what your current parameters are and what they should be to give you the result set you wish.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Oct 24 2002 - 10:20:32 CDT