Re: Memory usage

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:34:46 +1000

Hi Jan,

It depends (don't you just love it when someone says that).

What you're basically asking is a tuning question. How much memory is required to run my database effectively. The answer might be less than 100M, might be more (might be considerably more).

You (the DBA) can configure Oracle to more or less use as much memory as you wish. How is all in the init.ora parameter file (or spfile, you haven't mentioned DB version). To what is somewhat important in that too much memory is possibly wasteful and leads to tuning issues, too little is obviously no good either. You need to set your memory right. What is right obviously depends on a whole bunch of stuff, no clues of which you've mentioned.

So I would recommend looking at the Oracle doco set at http://tahiti.oracle.com and having a good read of the Concepts manual and the Performance Tuning manual. Being a SQL2000 dude, I would also recommend Thomas Kytes book Expert One on One Oracle.

You will find Oracle is a somewhat different beast to what you may be used to.

Good Luck

Richard