Re: ORA-01457

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:18:13 +0200

VictorReinhart wrote:

> Here is a simple way to re-create the problem:
<snipped>
> This proves that Oracle 8.1.7 has a bug when accessing an Oracle 7.3
> database.

Yes.

> Oracle is refusing to fix this on two grounds:
>
> 1) Oracle does not support a higher-level client (8.1.7) connecting to
> a lower-level database (7.3)
>
> 2) Oracle does not support 7.3 any more.

Yep. Sounds reasonable.

> The support person wants me to upgrade my 7.3 database. That,
> however, is a monumental task, as it is our Data Warehouse.

I would agree with the support person. Running a critical system on outdated software is a bad idea. As this bug demonstrates.

Also with Oracle 8 and 9, partitions are a joy to use. It makes the whole issue of data management in a data warehouse many times easier. And this is just the tip of the new feature iceberg. I would personally seriously consider an upgrade.

Remember - you will have to upgrade sooner or later. Postponing the inevitable is not the best of ideas.

> That's rather disappointing. This bug has apparantly been around
> since 8.1.7 came out, but was never fixed.

Hmmm.. but as this is not a bug when accessing a supported Oracle version (correct?), I do not see why Oracle should make the effort to make it support a desupported Oracle version.

Software maintenance and versioning on cross platforms.. that is a mammoth task. IMO it is a bit unfair to expect software maintenance for a desuported product.

--
Billy