What's a good tool for Stored Procedure/ Package development?

From: Don Chambers <dchamber_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:21:41 GMT

What development tools do you use to create Oracle Packages?

We are currently using Oracle Enterprise manager but this is not a good tool for team development. With Enterprise manager you are connected to the database and actually editing the code in the database.

This causes several problems:

   There is no source control or version control.    With several developers creating and editing packages it's easy to accidently edit the wrong package. If this happens there is no way to undo the changes.

   We can't easily lock down completed scripts. Each devleoper does not have an individual account.

Our process is to frequently update scripts (under source control) that are exactly the same as those in the database. Being a manual process we have lots of problems keeping the scripts in sync with the database.

An additional problem is that when a change is required its very tempting to make the change directly to the database with the INTENT to updating the scripts. If the developer forgets to update the script we are out of sync.

It would be great is we had a development environment that works off the file system with a way to sync with the database. When just using a text editor you can't 'compile' on the fly to ensure your syntax is correct.

Does anyone know of a product with syntax highlighting and integrated compile that actually uses the fiels system to store your scritps?

Don Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 20:21:41 CDT