ORA-00955 error when dropping field

From: Chris Austin <firebat_at_SoftHome.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:11:09 -0500

Hello:

I am trying to move data from a varchar to a clob. I add a new field to the table called TempX and update it with the data from the original varchar. When I try to remove the original field I get an ORA-00955 error. Here is my SQL

alter table RenewalText drop column NewText;

and this is the error:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

What could be causing this?

Thanks Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 20:11:09 CDT